Are you looking for Carpal Tunnel Treatment in Brisbane?
Myotherapy at Knead Massage is an excellent choice for your carpal tunnel pain.
What is Carpal Tunnel?
Carpal tunnel is a painful wrist condition caused by compression of the median nerve as it runs through the “carpal tunnel” of the wrist. There are many options for Carpal Tunnel Treatment in Brisbane, but we believe that our experienced Myotherapists are an excellent choice for this painful condition.
People often describe Carpal Tunnel Syndrome as a “sharp pain in the wrist” or having “pain in the wrist joint”. If you find yourself Googling “wrist pain mouse”, “wrist pain from motorcycle riding” or “wrist pain guitar” – you may have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
Symptoms usually include acute wrist pain, fatigue, numbness and tingling in the thumb, index and middle fingers (that starts and stops) and shooting pains in the wrist. The sensation may travel up the arm from the wrist. Symptoms may occur while gripping something and in intermediate and advanced cases often wakes people from sleep.
- Night pain is a common occurrence for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
- Weakness in the hands – resulting from nerve compression is usual.
When to see a healthcare professional for carpal tunnel treatment
If you have sharp pain in the wrist – persistent recent tingling, arm pain and weakness in your hands immediately seek treatment from a Myotherapist Permanent damage to the nerve is possible if treatment is delayed.
Carpal tunnel syndrome is caused by compression on the median nerve by muscular structures.
The carpal tunnel is an access point in the wrist for nerves and blood vessels. The median nerve passes through it. The nerve provides sensation to the palm side of your thumb and fingers, and allows the brain to activate the muscles that permit manual activity of the hand.
If a structure compresses the median nerve in the carpal space may lead to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and sharp pain in the wrist. Apart from Repetitive Strain Injuries common causes may include swelling from rheumatoid arthritis and wrist fractures – which decrease the size of the Carpal Tunnel. Pregnancy alters the fluid balance of the body and may lead to swelling and compression of the Carpal Tunnel.
- People with smaller wrists/carpal tunnels are more likely to develop Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (higher incidence in females).
- Some chronic illnesses – including diabetes, can damage the nerves.
- Acute injury such as dislocation or fracture of the wrist, can reduce carpal tunnel and put pressure on the median nerve – causing shooting pain in the wrist joint.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis can deform the bones of the carpal tunnel resulting in compression of the nerve.
- Obesity is a significant risk factor for carpal tunnel compression.
- Workplace factors such as constant computer use, vibrating tools driving or repetitive flexing of the wrist can compress the median nerve.
Carpal Tunnel Treatment Brisbane, how can our Myotherapists help?
Early and Intermediate overuse Carpal Tunnel Syndrome responds well to Myotherapy Techniques such as
- Electro Needling,
- Manual Release (Trigger Point and MFR),
- Ergonomic alterations,
- Postural Modifications including Kinesio Tape and
- Posture Braces.
Our Myotherapists will treat you condition and demonstrate corrective exercise so you can continue to improve between treatments. They will discuss ergonomics and help you to make as many changes as possible to support your recovery. Reducing the causative activities such as vibration tools are sometimes necessary to calm the condition initially.
Wrist pain exercises will ultimately target shoulder stability and postural awareness. Wrist pain exercises provide solutions to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Severe cases and those caused by diabetes and arthritis will require consultation with a Sports Physician and or a hand Surgeon.
For more information or to discuss your treatment options you can call us on 30030801 or book online.