Fighting a losing battle with chronic neck pain Brisbane? We’ve got a plan to help you live pain free.
This article will help guide you through the frustration of neck pain by explaining:
- Common causes and symptoms of many neck pain conditions
- What you should do to reduce pain
- What you shouldn’t do
- How to treat chronic neck pain and shoulder tension in a way that lasts – using cutting edge technology such as low level laser, expert deep tissue massage, strengthening the neck, ergonomics and too many other techniques to list.
(3 minute reading time)
If you’re in too much pain to read the whole article, hit the book now button and our experienced Myotherapists will help you live pain free.
What causes neck pain?
This article explores the most common causes of neck tension.
Pain can be triggered by many things including Whiplash injuries, locked facet joints (vertebra), nerve compressions (radiculopathy), disc bulges. A wry neck is a common condition involving either a locked joint or a bulging disc. It’s important to consult with a qualified clinician such as a Myotherapist or Remedial Massage Therapist to get an accurate assessment of what the underlying cause is. Don’t assume symptoms that sound like what we are discussing are what you have – get a diagnosis and understand what’s causing your pain.
Muscular strain is a common source of neck pain.
When muscles in the upper back and neck are weak and lack endurance – the neck can become irritable.
What are the Symptoms of Neck Sprain?
- Neck stiffness
- local neck ache/pain (often at the base of the skull)
- loss of movement range
- loss of movement quality (difficulty or pain)
- pain between the shoulders
- sharp shooting pain in neck
- neck muscle spasm
- shoulder pain
Symptoms often decrease when the neck is supported or at rest – and may increase with movement or unexpected moves.
What should I do to reduce Neck pain?
- Be conscious of posture and movement – not staying in one position for extended periods.
- Reduce muscle tension with expert deep tissue massage
- Ergonomics adjustment (simple, cheap and effective)
- Strengthen the upper back with a theraband (reduce the need for treatment)
Used in tandem with ergonomic adjustments this strengthening suite has been scientifically validated to decrease chronic neck pain in as little as 3 weeks.
What shouldn’t you do when you have chronic neck pain?
Don’t endlessly use ibuprofen and paracetamol and topical creams to reduce pain without addressing the causes. Chronic use of these substances create serious complications to our kidneys, liver and have been shown to elevate blood pressure.
How do you treat neck pain?
At Knead Massage Brisbane our treatments involve:
- determining the causes of pain
- Low level laser (to reduce muscle tension and pain)
- expert deep tissue massage (to keep muscles loose and pain free)
- Joint Mobilisations (to help the neck move effortlessly)
- Dry Needling (to reduce muscle tone)
- Electro needling (to stop headaches and reduce nerve irritation and inflammation)
- Exercise and Strengthening (to reduce the need for treatment)
Research has proven that a combination of joint and muscle treatments in tandem with targeted strengthening exercises will quickly reduce pain, stiffness and are a great “how to stop tension headaches” method. Neck and shoulder pain exercises help maintain and improve on excellent results.
Other articles related to neck pain: